Finished the initial version of my #pf2e
notes to #hugo
pipeline. A couple of things I learned....
Despite all of it's bugs and quirks, Logseq made this whole thing so much easier by providing an API that let's me run nearly the same queries in my notes against the logseq database.
That was a super nice find.
One of the reasons I moved on from #obsidian
was because #dataview
had no real supported way to look at my queries and write them out to the hugo-fied markdown file.
The inheritance system of logseq is awesome. It makes note taking so much less frictionless, because I'm not thinking about transferring the notes back to the correct file. They just get picked up in the easily reference linked and unlinked notes. Which I can then embed at some other point if I really want to. I also found that I could query the API for all embed information and write that back out to my hugo markdown output.
Great work, logseq.
Manipulating logseq markdown files sucks
. Adding bullet points to root elements was annoying to work around. And writing regex to remove random
from the embedded output was an extra annoyance.
Overall, solid b. I think things will absolutely get better for logseq, and I'm here for it.
After going through this exercise, I'm sure I could have actually done something similar in obsidian, but it would have definitely involved me reading every single file in my vault and recording metadata to a #sqlite
database for further queries. A little less clean, but probably pretty doable with structured notes.
I friggin' love #python
. I've never written in a language that is so easy to just start writing code in. Part of the reason that this even got started was because I could write a python script in like 10 lines that would just read a file and see if I could regex some of it to go from there.
I know you're not the fastest or most efficient, but damn; frictionless is the keyword here, and that's what it's good at.
I like hugo.
I don't find the hugo documentation to be all that easy to understand. That might just be me and my unfamiliarity with #go
The themes for hugo leave something to be desired, I think. I found something close-ish to what I want, but, realistically I'll probably have to write my own theme at some point. I imagine this is a problem with any #ssg
(static site generator)
Man, I hate developing in #windows
is good, but the rest of the OS lacks so much to facilitate #automation
, it's baffling. I want my workflow to be
- Write notes
- call script that hugofies my notes, compiles the site changes, #rsyncs to webhost.
That's it. In #linux
, this is a 2 line bash script. In windows, I couldn't find anything that could mimic rsync's capabilities to call in any kind of script.
I'm sure this annoyance is being compounded by the fact that I just got the win11 update with copilot, which I absolutely do not want.
If I didn't actively use #ableton
, I would be full linux so fast your spinning disk hard drive would spin itself right out of your desktop.
I know it somewhat works in #wine
, but I don't what to fight with my computer when I'm trying to be creative. And this has always been my experience with wine. It's just the nature of trying to mimic an entire OS compatibility layer.
Anyway, that's it. This is a lot of words and work just to share my #pathfinder2e
notes with my friends, but it was a fun journey.